Fish bun which is especially made in Sri Lanka is a favourite among the spicy food lovers. The filling in it names the bun, as it is made of fish. It is usually baked in bakeries but now, I will present you the recipe of this dish, to make at home. Scroll down to find the ingredients and the method of this soft bun.
For the dough:
Milk powder 3tbsp
Pandan leaves (Rampe in Sinhala and Rambha in Tamil)
Salt Per taste
Green Chilli 2
Sri Lankan roasted curry powder 1/2tsp
Saffron Powder 1tsp
Chilli Powder 2tsp
Lemon juice 1tsp
1. Pour oil in a pan and after heated, add pandon leaves, curry leaves, salt, ginger, garlic, onion, green chilli and sauté them.
2. Then add fish, potatoes and mix them.
3. Next, add saffron powder, Sri Lankan roasted curry powder, pepper, chilli powder and mix the spices with the vegetables. (If the given roasted curry powder is not available, you can cook the filling without it)
4. After mixing them well, add lemon juice before taking the pan from the stove.
1. First, mix the yeast, sugar and water in a bowl and keep it aside for five minutes to rise.
2. In a another bowl, add flour, egg, milk powder, butter or margarine and the rised yeast and knead them for ten minutes.
3. Next, keep it covered for one hour for the dough to turn double in size. Proceed as in the picture given below.
4. After it turns double in size roll the dough as in the picture below.
5. Next, cut the dough roll into slices.
6. Then, take one slice of the dough and roll it into the shape of a circle, placing the filling on it.
7. When you have finished with it, fold the two sides of the dough over the filling, in shape of a triangle as given in the picture below.
8. Next, fold the left out part of the dough over the filling and turn it to the other side.
I will mention about the baking process after mentioning the method of the next bun.
1. For the next bun, roll the dough as I have mentioned before and cut them into slices.
2. After cutting, roll a slice into the shape of a circle, and drawing lines from a knife on one side of the dough, and placing the filling on the other. I have posted a picture below to show you the process.
3. Next, roll the dough as shown below and form it into the shape of U
4. After completing the process, keep the buns again to turn double in size.
5. Then, apply butter to the baking tray and place the unbaked buns on it.
6. Next, egg wash the buns. (Apply the mixture of the beaten egg yolk and water on the buns)
7. When the process is done, heat the oven to 240 degrees C for 15minutes.
8. After 15 minutes, place the tray of buns in the oven and bake it for 10 -13minutes.
9. When the bun is baked well, take it out of the oven and cover it from the cloth.
10. When it turns soft, serve and Enjoy!